The BBC has been involved in a scandal for a few days when it was announced that a TV presenter had sought explicit photos from a teenager. At first, the channel refused to name the presenter despite mounting pressure.
Discover our latest podcast
Then, last night, Wednesday, July 12, it was revealed that the presenter behind the scandal was Huw Edwards. The latter had been named by his wife. Even though it was also announced by Sky News that Huw Edwards isn’t going to resign, the BBC may still choose to no longer have him as the main face of the channel.
Moreover, Huw’s wife, Vicky announced that the news anchor was receiving in-patient care for the ‘foreseeable future’ as he is suffering from a mental health crisis.
But who would replace Huw Edwards?
Clive Myrie could be the new face of BBC News
According to Daily Mail, Clive Myrie is the one typed to take over from Huw Edwards. Clive Myrie, 58, has won plaudits for presenting the 10 O’Clock news from Kyiv at the beginning of the war.
He was also a major part of the coverage of Queen Elizabeth’s death last September alongside Huw.
One senior industry figure said, as reported by Daily Mail:
Clive Myrie is in the frame for that. He is clearly a star that has risen.
In fact, after it was announced that Huw Edwards was at the centre of the scandal, Myrie presented the BBC’s News at 10 and confirmed once again that Edwards was not resigning. Watchers believe that when he announced the news, he had ‘tears in his eyes’.
Fiona Bruce could also take over
Fiona Bruce could also become the new face of BBC News. The 59-year-old is currently presenting Question Time and Antiques Roadshow. The same industry figure said, concerning Bruce that she was one of the few presenters at the BBC that had the ‘authority’ to replace Huw.
In the BBC’s annual report announcing their presenters’ salary, Fiona Bruce was named the 6th highest-paid presenter, earning between £395,000-£399,999. It is interesting to note that none of the BBC’s female stars hasn’t broken the £1m threshold, despite there being 4 in the top 10 list.
David Dimbleby may make a comeback
The industry insider has also suggested that David Dimbleby, 84, may make a comeback during the general election if Huw Edwards hasn’t returned yet. Before the scandal, it was believed that Huw would succeed David in presenting the UK’s general election.
Speaking on the matter, the industry insider said:
He is getting on but he is fantastic, he is the most professional, he is a Rolls Royce broadcaster.
However, this may be more unlikely than the other two. Indeed David Dimbleby had reportedly turned down an offer to work on King Charles’ coronation as he didn’t want to play ‘second fiddle’ as reported by The Times.
Daily Mail: ‘Who could take over from Huw Edwards? Attention turns to the presenter's likely successors as speculation grows he will never return to the BBC’
Mirror: ‘Clive Myrie 'tears up' reporting on Huw Edwards' scandal on BBC's News At 10’
Wirral Globe: ‘Fiona Bruce named sixth most paid BBC star in annual report’
The Independent: ‘David Dimbleby ‘turns down’ offer to cover King’s coronation’
The Times: ‘David Dimbleby turns down chance to cover coronation’