The results are in and according to the experts - you SHOULD make your bed every morning.
Here are five reasons why.
1. Encourages accomplishments:Small accomplishments in the morning will help encourage you to make more accomplishments throughout the day. William McRaven, the commander of the U.S. Special Operations stated:
If you make your bed every morning you will have accomplished the first task of the day. It will give you a small sense of pride and it will encourage you to do another task and another and another. By the end of the day, that one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed. Making your bed will also reinforce the fact that the little things in life matter.
2. Encourages organisation: Being organised is important in life, both professionally and at home. Ultimately, if your house is a big mess then your mind might feel the same way - cluttered and unclear. Making your bed each morning will encourage you to be organised.
3. Encourages productivity: According to the book, "The Power of Habit," by Charles Duhigg making your bed daily becomes a 'keystone habit,'which means that you will make good decisions throughout the day if you start your day off right, it will make you feel empowered throughout the day.
Also, as quoted by Jeff Campbell, 'In a sense, clutter is the end result of procrastination'. We should all avoid that.
4. Lowers stress: A cluttered house is a cluttered mind and a cluttered mind could lead to stress. It's important to keep your home clean and making your bed is the first task that will help reduce stress.
5. Improves mood: According to Gretchen Rubin's book The Happiness Project, one simple task that can change your mood is making your bed each morning.
If you start your morning off on a clean note then it will improve the way you feel throughout the day. Also, knowing that you're coming home to a clean bed or home will make you a much happier person.