What if we could just make everything at home? With just a few ingredients, you can save money by making many of the products you use daily, such as laundry detergent, dish soap, all-purpose cleaner, stain remover and now, soap. And you'll soon see that it is really easy.
Discover our latest podcast
Say goodbye to chemicals and expensive soap! It's better for your health and your wallet to make your own soap. All you need is essential oils and glycerine to ace this tutorial. Of course, making your own soap takes longer. You can set aside some time to get crafty over the weekend.
The dangers of chemical soaps
You may now know this, but many cosmetic products are filled with unhealthy ingredients. For example, some face creams contain dangerous preservatives that are powerful allergens. Ditto for body washes -- many ingredients are of synthetic origin and are made up of synthetic preservatives. Scary, right!?
Here's what you'll need:
- Pure glycerin
- Essential oils
- A silicone mold
How to make it:
- 1 / Melt the glycerin in a saucepan.
- 2 / Add the dye of your choice as well as the essential oil that you want.
- 3 / Pour the mixture into a silicone mold.
- 4 / Decorate the soap bars as you please. We added a few stems of broom bloom.
- 5 / Leave the mold in the fridge for 24 hours so that the soap can solidify.
- 6 / Get the bars of soap out of the molds.
- Aaand they're ready to use!
Not sure how to store it? You have two options: you can either put it on a soap dish (if you use it every day) or you can store it in a small box, about the size of the soap bar, and seal it tightly. This will allow it to last longer. How long can you store homemade soap? About 4 months.