At most birthday parties, a piece of cake is served. Under certain circumstances, however, these can be teeming with viruses and bacteria.
Discover our latest podcast
Up to 1400 % more bacteria possible
According to the study Bacterial Transfer Associated with Blowing Out Candles on a Birthday Cake, published in the Journal of Food Research, birthday cakes sometimes have a few not-so-nice surprises in store.
If the birthday child blows out the candles on the cake, a lot of bacteria and viruses can spread unhindered on the chocolate cake or cream cake. The study states:
Blowing out the candles over the cake icing resulted in 1400% more bacteria compared to cake icing over which candles were not blown out.
Better to do without sparklers
However, as GEO reports, those invited need not panic straight away. Blowing out birthday candles is only more or less questionable if the birthday child is ill.
However, what celebrants should really keep their hands off are sparklers on the cake. The newspaper Freundin:
The fire residue contains the toxic substance "barium nitrate" and should not be consumed under any circumstances. The chemical can accumulate in the body over a long period of time and lead to muscle cramps, cardiac arrhythmia, diarrhea, vomiting and shortness of breath, among other things.
This article has been translated from Gentside DE.
Journal of Food Research: Bacterial Transfer Associated with Blowing Out Candles on a Birthday Cake
GEO: Typical hygiene mistakes that almost everyone makes