Aldi branded candle explodes and nearly injures woman

Aldi is warning customers about an exploding candle that they sell after several customers report having almost fallen victim to the product.

There's no denying that Aldi sells some really great stuff at very affordable prices. From home wear to ready-to-wear and everything in between, there really is something for everyone.

However, a few women have come together to expose a potentially life-threatening product that, at first glance, seems like a harmless piece of cute home decor.

Cheaper doesn't always mean better

Cathy Lewis-Clugston, from Matlock, Derbyshire, was left in utter shock when an Aldi-branded candle literally exploded and sent flying large chunks of glass and scorching hot wax in her living room. She explains having opted for the Aldi Black Forest Gateau candle, which retails for £4, as a cheap alternative to the Yankee Candle brand which can set you back £24.

She explains that:

I went over and there were large chunks of glass scattered about on the coffee table. I had the candle on a wicker mat, and there was wax all over the place. I am somebody who likes to burn scented candles, and I've burned them for years and years, quite often Yankee ones, but other ones as well. Never once has this happened. This is the only time.

She believes she was truly just lucky to not have been present in the room when the candle exploded or she could have otherwise been badly injured:

It was just lucky I wasn't sitting next to it, or there weren't kids or anyone else around

Others have had similar experiences

After the incident, she decided to look around social media to see if anyone else had experienced something similar with the Aldi-branded candle and found another woman with her own scary story.

Emily Redfearn posted on twitter:

Hey @AldiUK , we've just had one of your candles set fire and explode in our bedroom. We lit the candle around 4 hours before this. Thankfully we both noticed it, but how has this passed safety tests? The outcome could have been a lot worse than the burn marks on our furniture.

So let this be a lesson for all, maybe sometimes investing in quality products that come at a higher price point might be a better option.

Aldi is now selling everything you need for a garden home cinema Aldi is now selling everything you need for a garden home cinema