The secret to perfect and healthy hair can be found in coconuts. Ohmymag brings you 5 recipes for homemade hair masks that will transform your dull and dry locks to beautiful lustrous locks! Watch our video to learn more!
How To Use Coconut Milk For Your Hair
1. To treat dry hair: Tired of your dry and brittle hair? Dry by nature or suffering from too much dye or heat damage, your hair needs a treatment that will restore its flexibility and softness. For this, mix the flesh of a ripe avocado with 3 tablespoons of coconut milk and 2 tablespoons of oil (e.g. olive, argan ...). Gently massage your scalp with this mixture (skip this step if you have an oily scalp) then brush through the lengths. Leave the mask to act for about thirty minutes then apply your usual shampoo and rinse thoroughly.
2. To promote hair growth and voluminous hair: Longing for longer hair with more volume? You can make that dream a reality with this homemade mask that can restore thickness and boost hair growth. The recipe? Lightly heat 125 ml coconut milk with 3 tablespoons castor oil and 15 drops of basil essential oil. Mix and apply to your hair and scalp for 20 minutes before rinsing. The combination of coconut milk (which stimulates hair growth), castor oil (which rejuvenates the hair) and basil essential oil (which stimulates microcirculation) will limit hair loss and accelerate growth.
3. To detangle ethnic hair: Having ethnic hair can be a wonder and challenge at the same time! To detangle your hair, define your curls, and to restore all their flexibility, try making a mask based on coconut milk and marshmallow root (you can find this in organic stores). Infuse the marshmallow roots in simmering water, sauté the mixture, and allow it to cool. Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a tablespoon of coconut milk. Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and use it in the shower after shampooing. Leave on and detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb. Rinse and dry.
4. To treat dull and tired hair: Coconut milk is the perfect treatment for lacklustre hair. In a spray bottle, mix 250 ml of water, a tablespoon of coconut milk, a tablespoon of oil enriched with vitamin E, and 10 drops of tea tree essential oil. No need to shampoo, just a few sprays of this will restore brightness and shine to your hair!
5. To treat oily and greasy hair: Less greasy than coconut oil, coconut milk is particularly recommended for greasy hair. To cleanse your oily roots, mix ½ cup of coconut milk, 15 drops of grapefruit or lemon essential oil (this serves as a cleanser and gives a fresh scent), and 2 tablespoons of honey (for sweetness). Spread generously on your roots and smooth your lengths with the mixture. Leave for 30 minutes then rinse thoroughly. Finish by rinsing your hair with cold water - it will tighten the pores of the scalp.