Can’t help but give your little canine mate a hug or a little peck from time to time? A piece of advice: avoid getting too close to their mouth. According to several medical studies, this can be quite dangerous.
In fact, many seriousdiseases can be transmitted just by giving your dog a quick kiss. John Oxford, emeritus professor of virology and bacteriology at Queen Mary University in London, elaborated on the subject to The Hippocratic Post:
It is not just what is carried in saliva. Dogs spend half of their life with their noses in nasty corners or hovering over dog droppings so their muzzles are full of bacteria, viruses and germs of all sorts.
Children are the most sensitive targets
The consequences are potentially quite severe. For example, an English woman developed sepsis – blood poisoning – after contact of this nature with her dog. She contracted the bacteria Capnocytophaga canimorsus, found in the mouths of dogs and cats.
Children, in particular, are susceptible to the spread of this bacteria as, more often than not, their mouths are open when receiving licks from their animal companion. Given the fact that their immune systems are not nearly as developed, this could lead to some serious problems. So word of warning: when in doubt, stick to a hug!