In 2021, the UK Government announced the launch of a £500 million support fund to help vulnerable households over the winter months. The Household Support Fund has been extended since, and is designed to be spent on essentials such as food, clothing, and utilities. The money is sent to councils who can then decide how best to distribute it to help their community.
Discover our latest podcast
Shropshire Council in England will be handing out £270 cost of living cash to households who need extra support over the colder months. Here’s who is eligible, and how you will receive the money.
Who is eligible for the £270 cash?
6,000 households will benefit from this payment. The Mirror has listed the households included:
- 'Pensioners in receipt of council tax support who are not in receipt of pension credit guarantee credit
- Households in receipt of council tax support where Carers' Allowance is in payment
- Households in receipt of council tax support where a child is in receipt of a disability benefit
- Households in receipt of council tax support where a non-dependent is in receipt of disability benefits
- Households where there is a carers disregard for the council tax
- Households where there is a disabled band relief on the council tax'
How you will receive the money
Shropshire Council received a grant of £4.1million from the Government to support its residents in 2023. The money is usually paid in the form of cash payments, supermarket vouchers, bill support or discounts. However, this payment will be slightly different.
This month, the council will pay the £270 straight into your account if it already has your details. Households received a letter to apply earlier in the year but applications are now closed. The council is working to pay all eligible households, and this should be completed by 20 November.
For those who are eligible, this could be a helpful boost before Christmas. Coming into the new year, those receiving cost of living payments should also be aware that the 2024 payment of £300 is to come earlier than expected.
BirminghamLive: Thousands of households in UK will get free £270 in bank account by November 20
Mirror: Cost of living payments worth £270 being paid this week - see who is eligible for the cash