Unfortunately, after a while, your dishwasher can give off a bad smell each time you open it. Here are a few tips on how to remedy this.
A deep clean
First of all, the best way to deodorise your dishwasher is to pour about 2 litres of white vinegar into the machine and to run it while empty. Why do this? In order to deep clean it, remove the limescale and eliminate odours. Then, in a basin or container pour baking soda into hot water. Soak a clean cloth with this mixture, and scrub the inside of your dishwasher with it. This will eliminate any remaining impurities and will prevent bad odours from reappearing.
Preventing unpleasant odours
To avoid unpleasant odours from reoccurring, leave the dishwasher open for a few minutes after each cycle, and systematically spray the inside with white vinegar afterwards. Finally, use natural deodorisers such as lemon, salt, or anti-odour pellets. Check out our video above for more about these tips.
Choosing the right products
In order to limit bad smells, you can also make your own cleaning products, as well as your own dishwasher tablets.
What you will need:
- 6 tablespoons of baking soda
- 6 tablespoons of soda crystals
- 6 tablespoons of sodium percarbonate
- 3 tablespoons of citric acid
- 1 ice cube tray
Steps to follow:
- Pour 6 tablespoons of baking soda into a glass jar
- Add 6 tablespoons of soda crystals
- Add 6 tablespoons of soda percarbonate
- Finally, add 3 tablespoons of citric acid
- Combine the mixture by shaking the jar, and then pour the mixture into an ice cube tray to form the tablets
- Put them into the freezer for a few minutes
- They are now ready to be used