The popularity of vegan lifestyles or the desire to eat well has allowed us to see plant foods such as pumpkin seeds, soy, tofu, and chia seeds appear in more and more kitchens. Are they really good for your health, and how should they be eaten? We'll tell you all you need to know!
What are chia seeds?
Full of benefits, chia seeds originated in Mexico. Fortunately for us, they can be found everywhere in supermarkets or in shops specialising in natural and organic products.
Brown, white, or greyish, their colour does not affect their nutritional value!
The benefits of chia seeds
For 100g of Chia seeds, there are 490 calories, which is very reasonable when you consume 20g per day, which is also highly recommended.
Chia seeds help to:
- Fight against cell ageing as they are antioxidant
- Regulate blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Fight effectively against cardiovascular problems
- Fight against constipation
- Hydrate the skin
- Sleep better
- Avoid snacking
- Regulate the body
All this is possible because chia seeds are rich in nutrients, fibre, essential fatty acids, vitamins, and minerals.
If you have food allergies related to other seeds, you are advised not to consume them or to seek medical advice first.
Chia seeds: a simple breakfast recipe
Now that you know what these seeds are capable of, we have selected a recipe for you to make in just two steps to fill up on vitamins at breakfast!
Here is the list of ingredients to prepare a balanced breakfast using chia seeds:
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 bowl of cereal of your choice
- Plant-based or regular milk
- 1 teaspoon of almonds or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of cane sugar
- Fruit in season or of your choice
Here are the two steps to follow to make this delicious and balanced breakfast:
- 4 hours before or the day before to allow the seeds to swell, mix them with the milk of your choice in a bowl and then put them in the fridge.
- Then cut the fruit and place it into the bottom of the bowl, add the seeds previously mixed with the milk, the almonds, and enjoy!
As you can see, chia seeds can easily be added to salads or to morning cereal bowls. If you are patient, you can even blend them into a smoothie, soup, or milky drink in which they will mix perfectly!
If you blend the chia seeds, we advise you to consume them very quickly because the nutrients in the seeds oxidise rapidly.