The Duchess of Sussex’s father Thomas Markle has announced that he will soon be creating a documentary based on his life so far, which is set to feature a series of unseen home videos and photos of Meghan.
'What happened to my baby girl?'
The ex-Hollywood lighting director recently confirmed to The Sun on Sunday that he is planning a documentary about ‘my life, my family, my love of theatre and television and how I got there.’
It also seems that the 70-year-old is set to uncover previously unseen footage of the Duchess in her youth as well as photos from her childhood. Markle went on to announce that his story would include the time he spent with his daughter Meghan:
My life with Meghan, growing up, her school days until she went off to college, and when her career began. We had a good life together, up through her first marriage and her move to Canada. Then a new story begins. It’s kind of like 'What happened to my baby girl?'
A relationship damaged beyond repair
Last year Thomas Markle featured in a Channel 5 documentary where he detailed the breakdown of his and Meghan’s relationship, claiming that he hadn’t seen his daughter since before her wedding.
In the documentary, Thomas explained that the Duchess lived with him from the ages of 11-18, even claiming that he had paid both her school fees and her college tuition. However, when a heart surgery meant he was unable to make it to her and Prince Harry’s wedding, their relationship started to suffer.
The self-proclaimed theatre lover also revealed that he has yet to meet Harry or his grandson Archie and first heard about his daughter’s pregnancy through the radio.
It seems that Thomas isn’t without blame though as got himself into hot water with Meghan a while ago after staging photos for the paparazzi. The images, taken just days before her wedding, proved to be quite the commodity, selling for over £100,000.
The pair’s once close father-daughter relationship was further ruined when Thomas had leaked a private hand-written letter from Meghan to The Mail on Sunday in 2019. The Sussex’s then sued the news company last year as the publication caused the Suits actress to suffer ‘tremendous emotional distress and damage to her mental health.’
Since then Meghan’s father has not missed a beat when it comes to slating her in the press. The retiree even called upon himself tocriticiseMeghan and Harry’s exit from the royal family, claiming that their commercial contracts would tarnish the family’s reputation. He told Channel 5:
They're turning it into a Walmart with a crown on it now. It's something that's ridiculous. They shouldn't be doing this.
Harry and Meghan find success in the US
Meanwhile, it seems that Meghan and Harry are actually doing quite well for themselves in America. After just a year away from the royal family the couple has made designs to set up the charity Archewell as well as signing major deals with both Netflix and Spotify.
The first episode of their Spotify podcast Archewell Audio also aired around new years featuring famous friends such as Elton John, James Corden and Naomi Osaka, all reflecting on the tumultuous year that was 2020. Little Archie even made an appearance on the episode, making it the very first time the royal toddler has been heard by the public.
Now, it seems that the pair may be looking to expand their business in the UK. Harry and Meghan’s lawyers have recently submitted the trademark paperwork for Archewell Productions, a company set to create ‘motion picture films, televisions series and videos.’
The new production company plans will also give Harry and Meghan much more creative freedom when it comes to the content they want to create. But, despite issuing interest in all genres, a source told The Sun:
Meghan and Harry’s approach to their TV ambitions has always been serious — but it’s hard to imagine them coming up with the next Only Fools and Horses.