A dad is outraged to learn that his four-month-old daughter’s vomiting was due to a potentially toxic formula milk she was drinking. The product was recalled from shelves last week over salmonella fears.
Danny Lovell, 32, was at his wit’s end trying to understand why his little one was no longer the bubbly baby he knew. Baby Ocean-Rose suffered from diarrhoea, vomiting and fevers since being put on Alimentum Similac milk powder when she barely a few weeks old.
She has been in and out of the hospital, with her parents having to spend several nights with her there. Lovell’s frustration stems from the fact that no one told him the cause of his daughter’s sickness could be the milk. He told the SunOnline:
Fuming is an understatement. I feel let down by the system. We've been pushed from pillar to post, in and out of hospital, not being listened to. It's like my daughter is being used as a pincushion. And we're not getting any answers.
He only got to know that the milk could be the problem when he saw a post on social media about the products being recalled.
Feeling ‘let down’
The manufacturer, Abbot, issued an urgent recall of the products over possible salmonella contamination. The death of a baby in the US is being linked to the milk.
Batches of Elecare Similac and Alimentum Similac, which are usually only available via prescription, have now been withdrawn from shelves in the UK.
According to Lovell, Ocean-Rose looked so sickly from all the vomiting and diarrhoea that doctors thought she had jaundice. He feels ‘let down’ by doctors for prescribing this milk formula for their baby.
Finding out about it on social media was the biggest thing. The milk she's on is prescribed, as far as we were concerned, it was safe. It's what they recommended.
Lovell and his partner switched to a different milk product for their baby after learning about the recall on Friday. She has since returned to her bubbly self.