We have known for a long time now that hair dye isn’t exactly good for your hair or your overall health in general. Recently, a young French woman had a rather painful experience as a result of using one of these products on her hair. View this post on Instagram 🦋FOLLOW @hair_color_clique 🍭🍭🍭 A post shared by Hair Color Videos (@hair_color_clique) on Nov 30, 2019 at 1:04pm PST19-year-old Estelle came very close to losing her life as a result of an allergenic substance found in the product that she was using to dye her hair. Known for being quite dangerous, paraphenylenediamine (or PPD) is actually banned from being used in several cosmetic products, but it is still allowed to some hair dyes.On Wednesday 19th June, the National Health Surveillance Agency published the results of a study that was carried out on hair colouring products and the results are alarming. View this post on Instagram Treatment Tuesday DID YOU KNOW? Hair dyes can cause allergic reactions. This is because some dyes contain the ingredient,"paraphenylenediamine (PPD). PPD can also be found in temperorary tatoo ink, printer ink and gasoline. Hair dye allergy symptoms include:- - stinging and burning sensation on scalp, face or neck; - swollen eyelids, lips, hands or feet; - itching or swelling of the scalp and face. Occasionally, a hair dye allergy may cause a medical emergency. #HairDyeAllergy #Dermatology #SkinCare #SkinEnvy A post shared by Dr. Natasha St.Aimee (@skinenvy.derm) on Jul 30, 2019 at 11:17am PDTAs it turns out, the substances found in these products have been found to cause asthma, respiratory allergies and severe skin reactions for people who work in the hairdressing industry. But these people are not the only ones who can be affected. The same goes for their clients who are exposed to the same risks when they visit salons. The ready-to-use creams, the powders that are mixed with other liquids and the granules involved in the hair-dying process are all being called into question. View this post on Instagram Megan from #loveisland talking on This Morning about her home hair dying disaster which caused her to go to A&E😱 This is actually more common than you think and you wouldn’t believe how many people “box” dye their hair without a skin patch test. This type of allergic reaction manifested as itchy, burning or painful weepy rash Which then began swelling that increased Every hour. caused by direct contact with PPD (para-phenylenediamine) . PPD gives a natural look and is permanent, and it is found in almost all box-dye dark hair dye be it organic or not, plant-based or not. And yes, this include henna. . If you just dyed your hair and started to feel itchy, shampoo the excess dye away as soon as possible with shampoo and take antihistamine and contact your local GP. . don’t try your luck thinking that maybe the next round it will be okay. With every exposure, it tends to get more severe, and it can even be life-threatening with difficulty to breathe and kidney injury this may also mean that you’ll have to be careful when it comes to different ink in real tattoos and even henna tattoos SAFETY FIRST! Most salons including kimberleys salon are extremely responsible when it comes to hair dye and it’s ingredients. here at kimberleys we use 0% ppd and 0% ammonia and we still get 100% grey coverage and amazing colour results and shine without any of the risks✔️👏🏼 . . #dermproblems #hairdye #hairdyeallergy #contacteczema #contactdermatitis #eczemafighter #dermatology #skinmatters #hairmatters #medicine #ppd #hairdyeallergy #dyeallergy #hairdyeproblems #hairdyedanger #boxdye #boxdyedangers #boxdyehorrors #allergy #allergicreaction #swelling #dangerous #swelling #deadly #antihistamine #tattoo #henna #hairdye #skintest A post shared by kimberleys London Salon (@kimberleyssalon) on Apr 22, 2019 at 1:51am PDTThe ingredients in question are ammonium persulfate, potassium and sodium. They are all used to help the depigmentation of the hair so that the colour can be changed.The Agency has declared that these persulfates caused more than 1,000 health conditions between 2001 and 2015 not only in England but also in France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, The Netherlands and Denmark. As a result, manufacturers are being very strongly advised to ‘restrain from using persulfates in their products without further delay’.