Meningitis: This girl died after doctor misdiagnosed her symptoms for gastroenteritis

A family has been left devastated after the death of their 4 year-old child, whose meningitis symptoms were misunderstood by the doctor.

Meningitis: This girl died after doctors misdiagnosed her symptoms for gastroenteritis
© comzeal
Meningitis: This girl died after doctors misdiagnosed her symptoms for gastroenteritis

In an unfortunate incident, as reported by Daily Mail, a 4-year-old child died from meningitis, after the doctor misdiagnosed her as suffering from gastroenteritis.

Discover our latest podcast

As per the NHS, meningitis is caused by bacterial or viral infection of the protective membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord (meninges).

Earlier, Lidl had issued an urgent recall of this popular frozen food as they discovered bacteria that causes meningitis. Health experts have also sounded alarm over fatal fungal infection and tick-borne virus last month.

Here's what happened in the tragic case in Gold Coast, and the symptoms of meningitis you should be aware of.

Child tragically died from bacterial meningitis

The child, Norah Terei-Bristowe got sick with fever, vomiting and headache. Her parents called a doctor to check on her. The doctor diagnosed the child as having gastroenteritis. However, her symptoms worsened over the next couple of days, and she had to be rushed to the hospital on August 28 after she became unresponsive.

The Gold Coast University Hospital found that Norah was actually suffering from bacterial pneumococcal meningitis. It is an extremely rare strain of the infection, and it does not have any treatment or cure.

On August 30, 2023, little Norah passed away, surrounded by her family.

Read more:

Mosquitos could be spreading flesh-eating bacteria, here's what to know

Uterine fibroids: This woman experienced pregnancy symptoms for 3 years before getting the right diagnosis

Meningitis symptoms

The news has plunged her family and the community in grief. Her family has urged parents to be quick to take their child to the hospital if they suspected something was wrong. For Norah, there was really nothing the doctors could do. As the family explained,

When we got to the hospital, the treatment was not able to catch up to how quick it spread to her brain.

As per the NHS, it is estimated that up to 1 in every 10 cases of bacterial meningitis is fatal.

Symptoms of meningitis develop suddenly and can include:

  • a high temperature (fever)
  • being sick
  • a headache
  • a rash that does not fade when a glass is rolled over it (but a rash will not always develop)
  • a stiff neck
  • a dislike of bright lights
  • drowsiness or unresponsiveness
  • seizures (fits)

These symptoms can appear in any order, and one might not even show any symptoms.

Most people with bacterial meningitis who receive treatment quickly will also make a full recovery, but some people could be left with serious long-term problems.

Read more:

Cases of Victorian-era disease ‘unusually high’ in the UK. Know the symptoms

Sources used:

Daily Mail: 'Meningitis: Gold Coast girl Norah, 4, was told by doctors she just had gastro and died days later'

NHS: ' Meningitis'

Symptoms, Duration And Treatment: Chickenpox In Children Symptoms, Duration And Treatment: Chickenpox In Children