On Wednesday, Tommy Fury and Molly Mae revealed that their new puppy Mr Chai had taken ill suddenly and passed away less than a week after they got him. Whilst many fans were sympathetic, the couple also received a flood of criticism from animal-lovers condemning the couple for having a ‘designer dog’ shipped over from a breeder in Russia.
The couple explained that after two days of playing happily and seeming perfectly healthy, Mr Chai’s health began to deteriorate and they took him to the vet. Half an hour after leaving him at the vets, they received a call telling them that Mr Chai had had a seizure and passed away. An emotional Molly Mae said that Tommy ‘literally threw up everywhere’ and she thought it was a sick prank.
Sadly, Mr Chai really had passed away and the devastated couple paid for a fast-track autopsy to find out how their pup had died. The vet found that:
Chai's skull wasn't fully developed. Part of his brain was exposed. In a tiny dog, any knock, even playing with him probably wasn't very helpful… Chai didn’t have a single white blood cell left in his body, so he couldn’t fight off any form of infection, any form of bacteria.
‘People are saying that we bought him for Instagram likes, please stop saying that.’
An emotional Molly-Mae slammed claims that they had bought Mr Chai for Instagram likes, saying that she and Tommy are both long-term dog-lovers. She also admitted that she was the one who had asked Tommy for a dog and chosen the breeder, hitting back at tweets saying Tommy had ‘typed ‘cutest dog for my girlfriend’ into Google’.
The couple also rubbished claims that they had left Mr Chai vulnerable to infection by taking him to the park before he’d had his vaccinations, insisting that at four-and-a-half months old they had all the paperwork confirming that he was fully vaccinated. Whilst the couple admitted that in hindsight they wouldn’t buy a dog from overseas again, they begged:
I'm asking you to understand that the dog travelling from Russia is not the reason he died.