This Woman Almost Died Because She Didn't Wash Her Makeup Brushes

Washing our makeup brushes is something we all know we should do but in reality, it's a job that often gets skipped. After reading what happened to Katie Wright, however, you'll be sure to wash your makeup brushes regularly.

Katie Wright, a 21-year-old from Texas had what she thought was a giant pimple underneath the skin. When she popped it, her face started to swell and she was in serious pain. She went straight to hospital where she found out that she had 'a very serious case of Cellulitis, which is a version of a Staph infection. It affects the deep cellular tissues with no main source to attack.'

What is a staph infection?

A staph infection is caused by bacteria (staphylococcus) that is often found on the skin of humans living harmlessly. However, the bacteria becomes a real problem once the skin is cut or penetrated, allowing it to make its way into the body where the bacteria spreads its toxins. The infection can present itself in the form of red bumps, sores, crusts, or blisters. If not treated quickly, the infection can lead to certain serious conditions like blood poisoning and toxic shock syndrome.

In the nick of time

Doctors said that if the infection had been left untreated any longer it could have spread to her brain or eyes, which could have caused her to go blind or even been fatal. Thankfully, Katie has made a full recovery but she is spreading the word on social media so that no-one else goes through the same thing.

'This most likely happened from bacteria getting into my eyebrow pencil brush. I'm super strict on washing my face/beauty blender/brushes, but I never thought to disinfect my eyebrow spoolie'. So there you go, washing your makeup brushes is seriously important.

How To Properly Clean Your Makeup Brushes How To Properly Clean Your Makeup Brushes