Here are the foods you should be eating without any moderation during heat waves... And those to avoid!
It’s hot out, very hot, and when you don't have air conditioning, it's hard to escape temperatures that can be extreme. Here is a quick guide to help you make the most of your summer while enjoying yourself and above all… By keeping cool!
To keep cool, you should be eating:
- Peppers: Yes, you read that right. The chilli pepper has the effect of making your body think you are ‘overheating,’ so when you get a good sweat on while eating spicy food, this allows you to lower your internal temperature.
- Mint: Mint makes you feel refreshed, delightfully pleasant in such high temperatures!
- Hot soup: Just like chilli, hot soup will make you sweat, which will lower your temperature.
- Watermelon: Watermelon contains an amino acid called citrulline. Citrulline naturally cools the body.
- Eating too many carbs: They take longer to digest, which can make us feel warmer during the digestion process.
- Meat: We know, there is nothing that says summer like barbecues, yet meat is also difficult to digest, and will have the same effect on the body as carbohydrates.
- Alcohol: Alcohol has a dehydrating effect on the body, so there is no need to dehydrate your body more when it is already thirsty during hot periods.
To stay hydrated:
- Coconut milk: Coconut milk contains many nutrients that help to stay hydrated.
- Cucumbers: Cucumbers prevent water retention, ideal for when you feel swollen during rising temperatures.
Check out the video above for more tips on keeping cool!