Today, gluten is often seen as the number one public enemy. Even people who aren’t celiac know they should be eating less gluten. Celiac is a chronic autoimmune disorder in which eating gluten damages the small intestine. It’s estimated that 1 in 100 people suffer from celiac disease.
But even for those of us who aren’t celiac, gluten can still have harmful effects on our health. Why? Because gluten has been so transformed over time that it’s become hard to digest. Also, there is gluten in almost everything today. Seriously. Gluten is the secret go-to ingredient of the food industry that helps make foods look fluffier and more perfect looking.
Foods you didn’t know had gluten
- Ice cream. That’s right. Many ice creams contain gluten although it has no business being in there. However, it’s often added to the mix to make the cream fluffier.
- Sauces. Soy sauce, barbecue sauce, salad dressings, you name it, there’s probably ice cream in there.
- Soup. Canned soups often get their thick textures thanks to added wheat products.
- Deli meats. While meat is naturally gluten free, it’s not uncommon to find additives in there containing gluten.
- Coffee drinks. Think twice before you order a caramel macchiato. There’s probably gluten hiding in the syrup.
Next time you pick up something at the grocery store, make sure to look at the ingredients list or you might be in for a bad surprise.