A few weeks ago, McDonald's made a big splash by releasing an avocado burger. It is made with delicious breaded chicken, cabbage, a soft bun, and a guacamole sauce... But the reality is quite different. The burger received rather mixed reviews from customers. Many people did not appreciate the small amount of guacamole in the burger, contrary to the mouth-watering photos! Beyond the visual, the taste was nothing to write home about either. It's definitely a total flop for this long-awaited burger!
But don't worry, while McDonald's failed to delight its fans with this guacamole burger, don't forget that you can make something better at home! Here is a delicious and easy recipe to (better) reproduce the famous Chicken Avocado Burger at home.
Ingredients for the avocado burger
Here is a hearty and tasty recipe for this burger that uses very simple ingredients. These are things you can easily find and which you probably have in your cupboard. As for the avocado, you won't be disappointed. The guacamole will be present in large quantities!
For two avocado and chicken burgers you will need:
- 2 burger buns
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tomato
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- 1 handful of red cabbage
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp chilli spice
- 1/2 lemon
- 2 breaded chicken cutlets
Steps to make the Chicken Avocado Burger
Making this burger is not very complicated! You slice the vegetables, make some guacamole, and cook the meat to obtain a result that is both soft and crispy. Here are the steps in detail.
- Chop the red onion.
- Peel the avocado and remove the stone. Remove the flesh and place in a deep dish.
- Add the lemon juice, spices, and red onion. Mix well. The guacamole is ready!
- Chop the red cabbage and tomatoes.
- Fry the chicken cutlets for 10 minutes in a pan with a little olive oil.
- Toast the burger buns. You can add the cheese at this point.
- Assemble the burger: add a slice of cheddar cheese, the chicken, another slice of cheese, a big spoonful of guacamole, the cabbage, and the tomatoes. It's ready to go!
A vegetarian recipe for the avocado burger
If you want a meatless version, there are many ways to replace the breaded chicken in this delicious avocado burger. Here are some ideas:
- Soy steak
- A vegetable patty
- A quinoa patty
- A portobello mushroom
- A slice of grilled aubergine
- A slice of grilled sweet potato
For a vegan version, you can remove the cheddar and replace it with a cashew sauce or simply use a vegan alternative to cheese.