Asian cuisine really has it all. Refined, varied, and rich in taste, everyone loves something from the vast choices it offers. Among the many regional specialities are spring rolls, which come from Vietnam.
Kitchen supplies you need to make spring rolls
You don't need a lot of equipment to make spring rolls. The best way to cook them is to have a deep fryer, but you can also use a large pot in which you will heat the oil.
You will need to go to the international section in your local shop to find Asian ingredients. Alternatively, you can find what you need in organic or Asian grocery stores. Filled with pork, chicken, shrimp, or simply vegetarian, there are plenty of ways to make spring rolls, and you can combine ingredients to your own tastes and preferences.
How to make spring rolls
Here are the ingredients you need to make about fifteen spring rolls:
- 150 g of rice vermicelli
- 50 g soybean noodles
- 2 carrots
- 10 mushrooms
- 300 g minced pork or chicken
- 15 sheets of rice paper
- Peanut oil
Steps to follow
- Soak the rice vermicelli in hot water for 5 minutes.
- Drain the rice noodles and cut them short with scissors.
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- Wash and slice the mushrooms.
- In a large salad bowl, mix the soybean vermicelli, rice, carrots, mushrooms, and minced meat.
- Moisten a clean tea towel and then spread it onto your work surface.
- Moisten the sheets of rice paper for a few seconds in hot water.
- Place the sheet of rice paper on the moistened cloth.
- Place a tablespoon of filling on one end of the rice sheet. Bring the top and bottom edges together around the filling and roll it up.
- Heat some oil and fry the spring rolls until golden brown.
- Place the hot spring rolls on a sheet of paper towel to remove excess oil.
- You will need a few salad leaves, fresh mint, and sauce to serve with your spring rolls.
How to store your spring rolls?
Do you prefer to make a large quantity of spring rolls so that you can enjoy them whenever you want? This is a good idea, since after they've been cooked they can be kept in two different ways. You can vacuum seal them, and they will keep perfectly well until the next time you want to have them. Just put them in the oven to make them crispy again. Vacuum packing machines to store your food can be found for a low price.
A Foodsaver cordless vacuum packing machine to preserve food easily and longer, £43,50
You can also freeze your spring rolls by wrapping them well in plastic wrap, or freezer bags.