Even though spiders are very common household pests, it's important to realise that not only can some spiders be dangerous, spider bite can be toxic enough to result in death.
Discover our latest podcast
Again, if you're getting rid of spiders from your home, there are things you should never do. For example, you should never flush spiders down your toilet or even catch one with your vacuum cleaner. And you should never underestimate being careful of your garden spiders.
As reported by Daily Mail, a man from Kent barely escaped with his fingers intact after being bitten by one of the 'most dangerous' species of spiders in the UK.
Man's finger starts to rot after spider bite
Jason Missey was doing chores in his garden in Broadstairs, Kent, when he felt something sting his finger, but did not think much about it. However, over the next couple of days, the stung area swelled up, and got worse and worse with pus and skin coming off. Jason recounts it saying,
..it got a bit worse, and a bit worse, and worse – and then swelling, pus, skin coming off. I ended up going to hospital, and over six weeks I had to pull my finger apart basically.
It was after the hospital visit that he found out that he had be bitten by a spider.
The most dangerous spider in Britain
Jason identified the spider to be noble false widow, which he has seen in his garden. He also kept photographs of it. Daily Mail, quotes a 2020 paper by Clive Hambler, an Oxford University zoologist which calls this species 'the most dangerous spider breeding in Britain,' according to some.
As per Jason, the spider bite was extremely painful, and he had to wait for several week for the pain to subside, having no choice but to see his finger 'rot away.' He says,
It was painful. When it was down to virtually the tendons and the muscle, when you've got tweezers on bits, pulling things that aren't supposed to be pulled, it was very painful
Although Jason advises people to be wary of noble false widow spiders, he does not want 'people attacking nature because of one type of spider,' instead highlighting the importance of educating oneself.
Daily Mail: ''Britain's most dangerous spider' strikes in Kent: Man's finger begins ROTTING away after he's bitten by a noble false widow'