Whether it's to save money or due to a lack of time, there are many reasons why you might not want to go to the salon for a waxing session. When it comes to the armpits, legs and/or intimate areas, the bill can get very high, and the whole process can be very time-consuming.
The solution? Bring the beauty salon into your home, and treat yourself to a quick and inexpensive hair removal session! But to get there, there are a few rules that should be followed.
Nothing is simpler than making your own homemade oriental wax
Making your own wax at home couldn't be easier. Eco-friendly and natural, this recipe is the perfect way to say goodbye to your unwanted hair.
What you need:
- A saucepan
- 50 g caster sugar (the equivalent of two cups)
- Half a glass of water
- The juice of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons of liquid honey
- Reusable waxing strips
Steps to follow:
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir until the sugar melts.
- Once bubbles appear on the surface, leave it; caramel will form naturally.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Pour the liquid honey into the mixture.
- Keep stirring.
- When the mixture reaches 130°C, remove it from the stove.
- When the mixture turns clear, it's ready!
To be sure it's ready, you can pour a drop of the mixture onto a flat surface and see if it forms a ball, which means that the texture is ideal. If not, you can add a few pinches of sugar to obtain the ideal consistency. It should not be too liquidy, but rather have an elastic consistency. You should be able to mould it with your fingers.
You can also prep this mixture in the microwave by pouring all the ingredients into a bowl and heating it for 2 minutes.
Once the wax mixture is finished, you can spread it onto baking paper until it cools and is ready to use. When it is lukewarm, it's ready to go.
Storing this mixture is also easy! Oriental wax is a homemade product that can be stored over a long period of time. When placed in an airtight container and stored in the fridge, it can be kept for up to 3 months. When you want to use it, all you need to do is warm it up in hot water.
Waxing at home is possible
Once your wax is ready, all you have to do is apply it to your skin. But before you begin, you should test it to make sure it comes off all in one go.
Then, follow these steps:
- For leg hair removal, take a ball of wax the size of a clementine...
- Warm the wax in your hands by kneading it.
- Spread the wax ball over an area of 2 to 4 inches, using a sterilised stick.
- Place your reusable strip over it.
- Let it sit for a few seconds while flattening the strip.
- Pull the strip off with one quick motion, in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
There you go!
Tips for successful home waxing:
For effective hair removal, you can first sprinkle the area with baby powder. This will allow the skin to better absorb the wax, and the hairs will be removed more easily. Once the hair removal is complete, rinse the area with cold water and apply a moisturiser.
This method will please just about anyone! Eco-friendly and zero waste, it is also economical, since it only requires inexpensive raw products. With this 100% natural wax, you will end up with a product that both respects the environment, and your skin.